Saturday, May 13, 2006

Inspired to Sew Again


I used to sew. A lot. I made many of my kids clothes and lots of things for me, too. I just loved the freedom of walking in to a sewing store and making whatever dress I wanted in whatever fabric I wanted. I spent many mornings cutting, pinning, sewing, pressing while my kids were napping and going to pre-school. And then, life got in the way. I ended up going back to work after a divorce and a job, kids' schedules and everyday life of a single parent of three put a kabash (sp?) on my favorite hobby. I still made Halloween costumes, Easter dresses, home dec accessories and other special things but my every day sewing stopped.

Well, fast forward ten years. In spite of a job that requires a lot of travel, I have more discretionary time. Every once in awhile, I come across a sewing project that starts me thinking about dusting off the Bernina. I like to follow Alison's blog and enjoyed reading her foray into sewing. I hit the fabric store last night, planning on making a simple skirt to get me warmed up again. I envisioned something bright and colorful (pink, lime green, turquoise, etc.) before I went to the store but I didn't see anything bright that I liked but I did like the black and white fabric shown on the left. It's a black broadcloth embroidered in white (the color in the picture makes it look like there's some purple but there is not) and I plan on embellishing with white grosgrain ribbon to create a skirt similar to the second design from the left. Very Ann Taylor-ish. Using my 40% off coupon, the fabric was only $13. Patterns were on sale for $1.99 and the ribbon and zipper were another $4. Total price $19. Very UN-Ann Taylor-ish!

But here's the funny part. I was going to post a comment on Alison's blog that she inspired me and when I did, look what I found! What a hoot!

No comments: