Saturday, October 20, 2012

Baby Shower Loot



As I've mentioned before, my daughter and son-in-law are expecting a baby in December. I made some things to give her at the baby shower today. 

They decided on a policeman theme for the nursery (daddy is a police officer) but couldn’t find much in the way of bedding / accessories so we decided to design something as described in a previous post. My daughter ok'd all the designs and picked out the fabrics.  After piecing the quilt top, I took it to a local quilt shop to do the actual quilting. I was very happy with how it turned out - $35 well spent! Using some tips I found on various quilters’ blogs, I used my machine to put the binding on and added a little tag for my future grandson.

 


I scaled down two of the designs I created for the quilt to make a couple appliqued bibs. Rather than make the bibs, I purchased some fingertip towels at Big Lots (removed the monograms) and created over-the-head bibs by cutting a hole and serged ribbing to the neckline.

Other goodies include a University of Cincinnati bib (mom and dad’s alma mater) and another onesie (like this one) made from Jalie 3133 and an old t-shirt from dad.

 
I made coordinated Christmas stockings for my daughter and her husband last year and used the same pattern in different colors to make a stocking for the baby. Purchased Christmas socks will go with that present. I also knit a hat but it turned out way too big. 


The final project was a diaper cake. I used instructions found at this tutorial. My version took 67 size 2 Pampers, a 14” cardboard cake base, about 3 yd each of a wide and skinnier ribbon, and a BAZILLION rubber bands. I found the cute little Fisher Price police car on eBay and some blue pacifiers for accent. The bibs and onesie were also included as accents.

4 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

Very cute!

Lori said...

Great job, Mimi! Your grandson has some cute new stuff.

gMarie said...

I love Mimi! I'm sure your grandson will too! What lovely gifts. g

Kyle said...

OMG 67 pampers?! Wow! All the gifts you made look so professional! and it's all very useful too!