Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Burda 08-2008-118



This s a long overdue post. I finished this dress on Christmas Eve day just in time to wear it to Christmas Eve dinner. I don't think the picture presents a very flattering image but it really is a very cute dress! And comfy to boot!

The details:
Pattern: Burda World of Fashion 08-2008-118 (Pattern was for a tunic; I lengthened into a dress and made the sleeves long.)
Fabric: a sweater knit purchased from JoAnn Fabric

This was a simple dress to put together. In fact, I didn't read the directions. I cut out the smallest size (34) and still took in the side seams a few inches to get rid of some of the excess ease. I rotated the argyle print on the yoke so it would clash with the bodice that is slightly gathered.

I like the cowl neck but it is very different than what is shown on the technical drawing and seems to be bigger / floppier than the other versions I saw at PR. Maybe I cut it out wrong? I plan to make a short sleeve version for spring and will simply bind off the neckline.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Great looking dress, I made a vest from the same fabric!

Rachel said...

I love that dress and the fabric is so pretty. I have a weakness for argyle.

Vicki said...

It turned out really well. Maybe the knit is more stretchy with less recovery so that is why the neckline is lower and the cowl bigger. Anyway it looks good!

Unknown said...

Great looking dress Miss B! Did you find the buckle? g

Summerset said...

Cute! I've made this pattern, too, but ditched the cowl neck for a closer fitting t-neck and a slightly shorter length. I love the fabric you chose, very different.

Meg said...

Very snazzy and youthful-looking, but in a grownup way. Nice!

Lori said...

Check out my website, I nominated you for an award