Monday, January 03, 2011

V8422 - wrap top

Note: Picture was lightened intentionally to show detail.

This pattern received rave reviews at Pattern Review for its ease in construction. Many people touted the speed at which the top went together. Well, mostly due to user error, mine took longer than I expected and as you might notice, I constructed it backwards. I seem to have a block when it comes to asymmetrical designs and frequently use the one-way pieces incorrectly. I try to pay extra attention when laying out the pattern pieces but I still make mistakes frequently. It didn't matter in this case (at least I don't think it did!) but I wish I would quit doing that!

The fabric I used was an interesting knit described as a sweater knit. It was very stretchy and looks like boucle but without the bulk. I'm fairly certain it's 100% poly but it feels ok. It's a very dark navy although I lightened it for the photo so the detail was visible. To be honest, I really don't like navy and I'm not sure why I bought this fabric (ok, it was on sale; that's why!) and after looking at the final result, I still don't like navy on me. I don't intend to wear it with jeans - that was just for the photo. Instead, I wore it with tan slacks.

The opening for the tie is quite large (I flashed a little skin at the waist - not a good thing!) so I will sew it more closed before I wear it again. The wrap stays adequately closed and isn't too low cut. The construction of the top was quite interesting - a little different but worked very well.

All in all, I like the top but I don't think I'll make it again. I don't care for View B or C. The actual versions on Pattern Review indicate the top closes even higher at the neck than the picture drawings show.

Vogue 8422, View A but with long sleeves.
Navy stretchy "sweater" knit from Fabric Mart **
The closure is a metal ring - one of two that came in a package by Dritz.


** I have placed several orders with Fabric Mart recently and can't say enough about their customer service. They are very fast (I usually receive my fabric within a business week) and they communicate during the entire process.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Your new top looks great.