Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Color Block Copy Cat dress (Vogue 1336)

Early last fall, I saw the dress below in a magazine and wanted to recreate it. Voila!!


In spite of all the color block dress patterns out there, I couldn't find one that I thought would work until Vogue came out with their spring patterns and I saw this Sandra Betzina pattern. Link to Vogue 1336



As you can see in the line drawing, it wasn't exactly what I wanted so I redesigned the bodice and skirt pieces to work. I have very little experience in editing designs so I made a sample first (Sidenote: The ugly colors in the sample can be attributed to online purchases that were not quite what I was expecting!)




Fabric: Ponte knits in cream, taupe and black
Size: I started with size B, which matches my measurements but the pattern runs a bit big so I cut it back to the smallest size A.
Alterations: I didn't want the hem band so I omitted that but added 2" to the length of the dress and did a 2" hem. (I am 5' 3.5" for comparison.)

Overall, I love my knockoff. I wish I had lowered the v more. I actually DID lower it but when I had to adjust the shoulder seam, I accidentally raised it. Oopsie! This dress will be a nice work basic.



12 comments:

Jenny said...

Very cool. I like the sleeves you added - they look more modern than a plain sleeveless sheath.

gMarie said...

Bon! What a great knock off. Where did you find pontes? I never find good pontes. Anyway - that's a fabulous dress. g

Lori said...

What a great knock-off, Bonnie. I like how you placed all the fabric colors for the color-blocking. I am with gMarie, where did you get the ponte?

DawnSSL said...

Very nice!

SissySees said...

I love it!! Bravo!!

HeathersSphere said...

You look sensational! Very nice work on your knock off.

Kyle said...

cute!!!

Linda L said...

Great looking dress!!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You did a fantastic job on this! Love it!

SEWN said...

What a fantastic knockoff. Very flattering. Beautiful!!!

Susan said...

A great copycat job!

Marji said...

I love what you did with that! Just may copy...best form of flattery you know ;-)