Monday, November 29, 2010

Ruffled Christmas Trees

I saw the most adorable project on Lori's blog last week. Original directions were from a new-to-me blog called Shanty2Chic (she makes CUTE STUFF!) I decided to make a couple sets for hostess gifts. I even splurged for the ruffler attachment for my Bernina; $100! (ouch) but I've been wanting it for a long time. Hopefully, I'll get more use out of it than these 6 trees. I had the fabric in my stash - someone gifted me a huge box of Christmas fabrics years ago (I'm sad that I don't remember who it was). Here are the two sets:

Fabric measurements:
Each strip is 1 1/2" x 45" (i.e. the width of the fabric)
Large tree took 8 strips, or 1/3 yard
Medium tree took 6 strips or 1/4 yard
Small tree took 4 strips or just under 1/4 yard

For the base, I used a wooden candle holder glued to a circle base (for stability) that were both painted a cream color. Instead of the finial at the top, I used wooden star shapes that I painted with a shimmery gold paint.

Other than the annoying hot glue blister on my thumb (5 days later and it's still here), this was a fun project that turned out cute!

3 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Oh those are very cute!

Lori said...

Very cute, they are perfect gifts.

gMarie said...

Those are adorable. I bet I have Christmas fabric and friends who would love to have them. :) g