Friday, January 04, 2013

Black on Black top (M6435)





1/4/13 Edited to add modeled photo:

 










One can never have too much black but it's nice to add a little interest so this pattern and some stretch lace fit the bill. Most photos are lightened to show detail of the black fabric.

McCalls 6435, View B
Size: I cut a 10 at the top and graded out to a 12 at the waist and hips. 
Fabric: Stretch lace and black slinky knit.

The example on the pattern doesn't appeal to me at all:
  
But the line drawing gives a better idea of what it could look like:

I used a great technique for finishing that I learned in Joi's workshop at the Novi American Sewing and Design Professionals Expo in September.  Starting with foldover elastic and fusible tape, I bound the neck edge and sleeve edges. Creates a stretchy finish that is neat and professional looking. I fused the tape onto the wrong side of the foldover elastic, right down the middle. Then, I pressed the elastic around the raw edge of the fabric. After a little trial and error, I found that I needed to stretch the foldover elastic slightly as I pressed, to avoid a stretched out sleeve. After pressing, stitch close to the edge (use an edge foot on your machine) to secure the binding. The pressing while stretching was a little fiddly at first, but I got the hang of it and am very happy with the end result. If you use this method, you will need to cut off the seam allowance before binding. I actually did not do that for this because I thought the neckline looked awfully low after I cut it out.

Here are some close ups of the bound sleeves and bound neckline.






I plan to wear with the glimmery skirt from last post but Mark put in a request that I wear this with some jeans and high heels:

5 comments:

SissySees said...

Great top! I was looking at a black lace cardi yesterday wondering what on earth I'd wear it with... this helps.

Sigrid said...

What an original top, love the fabric combination. I'll keep this in mind for copying sometime.
Intrigued by the way you used fold over elastic, I always struggle with it and avoid using it.

gMarie said...

Your version of this top is so much classier than the pattern illustration. I love it and Mark's right it will look fabulous with jeans and heels. g

Ann Made Studio said...

I love the black on black...Very chic :)

Kyle said...

I wish I had taken that class with you, but the prospect of being there for 8:30am was too much for me to bear. :)