Monday, April 30, 2007

Peasant Top


I finished McCalls 5050, view A, a few weeks ago couldn't decide on how to finish it off. I didn't want the bow at the neck as I thought it would make me look like a kindergartner. I decided to try a thin "belt" effect instead. I think I like it and although I wore it today as is, I will add mini belt loops to hold the corded belt up high.

The fabric is a raspberry cotton eyelet purchased on clearance at JoAnn's last year. I think it cost me $2, no lie! The elastic cost more than the fabric.

This was a very easy pattern to make with one exception. I HATE elastic in casings. It was really hard for me to massage the elastic around so it was uniformly distributed. Not sure what my problem is; others don't seem to have the same issue.

Forgive the photo - used my Treo camera in the ladies room at work. LOL!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Not even kindergarteners wear bows anymore - so good call. ;)

That's a cute top - the sort of thing I'd wear if I was thin and cute. LOL

Karyn said...

Oh I love that!! I think it looks perfect with the little belt-thingy :)!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented Bonnie - both as a knitter and a sewer!! Love the top - love the cropped cardigan!

Linda in VA

Linda L said...

Like your "skinny" belt look.

Janice said...

I LOVE all these tops you're making!! Maybe I need to dust off my sewing machine....

Anonymous said...

Looks great - especially with the nice skinny belt!!

Hmmm -- photo in the woman's bathroom from work -- weren't we just having a conversation about what one does for blogworthy info.

I know Ann will especially appreciate this photo. Have your girls seen it yet -- the photo not the shirt!