Monday, May 02, 2011

Short Trench - FINALLY! Vogue 8480


Once upon a time (2008) in sewer blog-land, someone posted about purchasing a fun fabric for raincoats - a water resistant twill in fantastic colors (turquoise, red, tan, black) that was fused to a Burberry-looking fabric to create a medium weight fabric suitable for rainwear. A buying frenzy ensued with sewers around the world buying up this fabric to make raincoats. Like the good little lemming that I am, I purchased some in turquoise from Michael's Fabric and planned on making Vogue 8480 - a short unlined jacket (unfortunately, now out of print). The jacket was highly rated by some of the best sewers in blog-land and I really wanted one of my own.


In spite of purchasing the fabric and pattern in 2008, it languished in my stash until recently. I am so thrilled I finally got around to making this jacket. I absolutely love it! I did make some alterations including lengthening the body, reducing the width of the sleeves (changed from bell shape to a more modest flare) and increasing the length of sleeves (changed from 3/4 length to full length). I also moved the buttons around a bit. Full review at PR, if you're interested.

We have been experiencing the wettest spring in Cincinnati history so it would have been nice to have this done a month ago but that's the story of my life!

Flasher pose to show the "Burberry" lining:

On the dressform as I pondered button placement:

6 comments:

Zeila said...

What a lovely color! The jacket looks beautiful on you.

SissySees said...

Love it!!!

Now THAT is ALMOST enough to inspire me to learn to sew. I cannot find the perfect trench for me this spring...

Lori said...

Beautiful trench coat, the color is fabulous.

gMarie said...

That coat is fabulous! I love it. g

mermaids said...

great jacket! one just like it has been on my "to sew" list forever

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is beautiful too and in a great color! You've been sewing up a storm lately.