Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Girley Dresses



My fiance's daughter recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I decided to make coordinating dresses for her and her 10-yr old sister. I fell in love with this New Look baby dress:

New Look 6037, View D




And decided on a simple sundress for the other dress:

McCalls 5838, View A with no ruffle


I was happy to find coordinating fabric that was suitable for both a baby and a 10 year old! Although the photos seem to show different colors in the fabric, they are the same stuff! I used the butterfly and polka dots for the baby dress and polka dots and stripes for the big girl dress. The fabric is from the JoAnn's Tutti Fruitti collection. I've used other fabrics from this collection for kids' clothes in the past and really like the way it launders.

I gifted the dresses on Sunday and they were a big hit. I'm now on the hunt for more striped fabric so I can make a shirt (Butterick 3475) for their almost 4 year old cousin (boy) so we can get a cutesy photo while on vacation this summer.

I may even make him a pair of cargo pants to go with the shirt. Would white work for a boy? Or should I stick with khaki?

5 comments:

connie said...

I never look at New Look for little people patterns! Cute. If you are going to do more, check out Oliver + S- they are way sweet.

SissySees said...

Too cute!! They are lucky to have you in their lives.

Lori said...

very pretty dresses, how sweet of you. I think khaki would be the choice for a boy.

wendy said...

Those are both adorable!
I'll second the recomendation for Oliver & S patterns, they are so stylish with lots of nice details. And well drafted with good instructions!

Cathy-Cate said...

Wonderful dresses! I especially love the style of the baby dress: details make it fun! And the sundress is classic.

Definitely khaki shorts. White would LOOK great but would attract dirt from thin air.