Friday, November 13, 2009

Denim Skirt




I recently saw the skirt on the left in InStyle and thought it offered a cute twist on a denim skirt. A bit too short for someone my age but I loved the separating zipper. I also love what I think is pin tucking or maybe horizontal pleats in the skirt but there was no way I was going to tackle that! I considered using a colored double separating zipper in red but I too frequently go overboard on details and end up creating something gaudy instead of clever so I stuck with a simple black separating jacket zipper.

I decided I did not want a waistband and so I looked for a skirt pattern with no waistband and a vertical seam in the front. It wasn't that easy to find but finally I came across Simplicity 5259 and knew View F would work. I had to redraft the waistband since the front seam was now the opening but otherwise it worked perfectly.

I LOVE this skirt and have already worn in 3 times in the two weeks since I finished it (and shhhh, don't tell but it's not entirely finished - it still needs a hook and eye or some other closure at the top but you can't see it). The skirt is casual but the zipper and top stitching add a little interest. I think I'm going to make another one in black.

9 comments:

Claire said...

That's a really cute idea - you executed it really well. Looks great on you.

Linda K said...

Cute cute and cute! I should realllly learn to sew!

Lori said...

Very cute skirt, great job.

Summerset said...

You did a fabulous job interpreting that skirt. It looks great on you, without making you look like you're trying to hard.

gMarie said...

What a great skirt. Love the way you've outfitted it. Would be fabulous for jeans fridays at my office since I really hate wearing jeans!

I'm on vacation now (thank goodness) and I plan on getting some new clothes made - one way or another! Guess I should put the computer down and get off the couch! g

Sigrid said...

Great interpretation, the skirt is a fantastic take on a jeans skirt.

Sharon Sews said...

Very cute - and I like how you put the entire outfit together.

Jknits said...

I think you should use the red separating zipper for the black skirt!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great interpretation! And I have a few of those skirts with the missing waistline closure hanging in my closet too...*shhhhh, don't tell*