Friday, June 29, 2007

Getting Organized & Sewing Ramblings

Added some photos:

!


I am just a hem away from finishing After work, I finished S3837, view B no overlay, in a turquoise knit to match the skirt I made last weekend. It also turned out way too big and I had to alter it twice as I was sewing. Then I ran out of thread. All I had left to do was wind a bobbin and thread the double needle for the hem but I ran out of steam at 11 last night so I quit. It's still bigger than I like but it'll do. I'll make the next one fit better! Not sure I'm digging the poofy sleeve. Might have to lose that on the next one.




I stumbled across this clever idea for keeping track of your fabric inventory via another blog this morning (I forget which blog... sorry!) Cut Out & Keep blog presents what is described as "A Fabric Brochure" - a page on which fabric swatches can be organized. Multiple pages get inserted into a binder. I can see that this would be helpful for keeping track of the fiber content of fabrics, usually long forgotten by the time I get around to using the fabric. I plan to also include laundry instructions for each swatch. This idea even suggests putting a corresponding tag on the fabric. I don't have THAT much fabric at this point to need this step but it would be a good one for those who have serious fabric stashes.

Debbie, you knew I'd love this idea, didn't you!!

I made a pair of white fleece gauchos, (S4237, view C) for lounging around the house. They were essentially a muslin and not very exciting to see. The pattern calls for a foldover waistband but I opted out of that and made a single layer. They turned out quite large compared to the measurements on the envelope. I started with a size 12 based on hip and waist measurements but I cut them way down and the waist could still be smaller. I will start with an 8 next time - I plan to make a couple 'real' pair from some brown and black knit fabric.

I cut out New Look 6468 in a hot pink embroidered stretch fabric, inspired by this dress (click on 'project photo' for a better look - isn't it adorable??!!) I cut this one out a size smaller than the measurements said based on the previous two experiences. Hope I don't regret it!

On the knitting front, not much is going on. I'm working on a dishcloth as training for the DishRag Tag Swap. I am a proud member of the Cotton Commandoes team and we are going to win this thing!! We even have secret strategies plotted. Hee hee hee.

4 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

I guess it is better to have them too big and cut them down than to have them too small.

Good luck on the Dish Rag Tag.

Lori said...

I like the sleeves, cute color.

designdreamer said...

All your pattern links point to the gaucho pattern. I was able to figure it out, but thought you might like to know.

Bonnie D. said...

Thanks, designdreamer! I fixed the links. I bet that happened when I revised the post, copying and pasting differnt things.