Well, I still haven't cut out any of the projects from the last post but since winter clearly is not going away, I DID make a hat that I have had on my mind for a few months now. My inspiration was the "Lola" hat shown here but at $285, it was just a wee bit out of my price range! (I didn't think it was appropriate to copy the photo right onto my blog.) This designer has other lovely hats, check them out here and here,
I decided to try to make something similar so here is my hat inspired by Lola:
Mine was a bit cheaper:
Leftover scrap of polar fleece - $0
Two yards velvet ribbon - $2
Pattern (B4643) - $3
Grand total - $5
I had to play around with the pattern a lot to get the look I wanted. The hat part was longer than I wanted and the brim was floppier than I wanted. So, I basted and ripped and basted and ripped until I had it looking like I wanted. But after I sewed the final seams, I didn't like how wide the brim turned out. I wanted a closer-to-the-face look. I didn't feel like ripping out seams from the polar fleece (I would have gone blind!) so I improvised. What do you think of my "design feature". Hee hee.