Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Vogue 2980

I have been wanting to make a black knit top to go with my kiwi skirt I finished a few weeks ago. I was planning on the S4076 Twist Top but then I saw Sharon's ADORABLE TOP and changed my game plan. I thought the bolero style top (Vogue 2980) was a little retro looking and would look nice with the 60's-ish flower power print on the skirt.

I purchased a thin poly knit from JoAnn's (total cost $3.00 - no lie!) You really do need a thin knit for this as the sleeves are doubled and the front is self lined. The seam around the armhole has 4 layers of fabric for most of it. A thicker interlock might be too bulky.

The pattern is very clever. It's only 4 pieces and fits together like a puzzle. The pattern is designed by Sandra Betzina and I believe she actually wrote the directions, which are very clear and take you slowly, step by step. I still goofed up connecting the front to the sleeve and the bolero but since I basted everything, it was easy enough to fix. I will be making this again in the long sleeve version and maybe even another short sleeve version. Now that I understand the directions, this will go together in a flash.

I will make it a little larger next time. I don't usually have a problem with tops being too small (that's an understatement!) but even though the smallest size in the pattern was dead on my measurements, it's a little snugger than I like.

(Forgive my tired eyes and the burnt Hostas behind me. It's been a long, hot summer. LOL!)

12 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

The top is adorable. It goes so well with the skirt.

Allegra said...

You look great! Did you get a haircut? Something looks different.

Beth said...

You look fine, but the hostas have seen better days. Hope you can get to Tuesday nights again soon. We miss you!

LauraLo said...

It's beautiful! Clever idea of a top and bolero in one piece, it looks great and goes wonderful with the skirt

KnittyNancy said...

Beautiful top! We have certainly had a hot, dry summer. My hostas look terrible. We miss you on Tuesdays!

Sharon Sews said...

This looks so wonderful on you! I'm going to make one in black also.

CathyCate said...

I love this top! I need to figure out how to knit it....

renee said...

Bonnie, this top is an understated and classy sexy. I really really like it.

rohanknitter said...

Super cute top!
I know what you mean about a long hot summer - I am tired of watering thirsty plants!

Janice said...

Great top!! It is a perfect match for that skirt! We're still very green in Iowa (LOTS of rain..) Also means we're still mowing like twice a week!! Bummer.

Cherie said...

I, too, love the top with the skirt. Nice choice! I also loved Sharon's top!

dawn said...

What a great outfit! That black top is very flattering on you.