Monday, August 18, 2008

"They call me Mellow Yellow"


Technically, this dress is not done but I'm so excited about having something to show after a month with no sewing or knitting that I'm posting anyway! All I have left is the hem anyway. This is McCalls 5660. It's actually a Hilary Duff pattern, which probably means a woman in her mid-forties should not be wearing it but at least I lengthened it!! I made it from a mid-weight twill purchased from JoAnns. I didn't take any close up photos but I used a black zipper and top stitched in black for accent.

This pattern was not easy for me. I sewed the top wrong three times!! I'm not sure why I found it so difficult. It was just a little different than any other top I've ever made. The skirt is straight and form fitting and doesn't have much wiggle room (pun intended, hee hee). A woven with a little lycra in it would have been perfect for this dress. But oh well, can't have everything!

It calls for belt loops but I think I am going to leave them off because I like a wide belt. What do you think?

I just noticed the collar looks uneven. It is not. I forgot to straighten it when I tried it on.

14 comments:

Claire S. said...

I like it ! I love the yellow - nice and summery.

Vicki said...

I like it too. The yellow and the style are very nice on you. The belt at the hips reminds me of a Burda WOF dress too.

Lori said...

Bonnie, I like it, great color on you and the length is perfect.

toy said...

this looks great on you

Unknown said...

Yea! It looks great. I'm so glad you some time in the sewing room. g

Meg said...

What a cute and fun dress. I think it looks great on you.

Summerset said...

Fab! Not to young for you at all! Leave off the belt loops and you can wear whatever belt you want in whatever position you want.

Anonymous said...

I definitely like it with a wide belt! nice job. cindy

Sigrid said...

Lovely dress. The style is not too young at all, looks great on you.

Allison said...

I missed you! I can't believe you're wearing a Hilary Duff pattern though - that's just too funny.

Tany said...

Gorgeous! You look stunning in it!

Cennetta said...

Bonnie you look great in your "mellow yellow dress" and I like it with the wide belt.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Hilary Duff?! LOL Whoever it is it's awesome! Love the black as the accent colour and the length is great! Way to go Bonnie!

Kellie said...

I think it looks great, Bonnie! LOVE the wide black belt.