Friday, July 04, 2008

Butterick 5177 - the jury is out

Happy Fourth of July! Ande and Toy made adorable versions of Butterick 5177. I'm not so sure about my almost finished version (just needs a hem). I cut this dress out last night and started sewing early this morning. Even though it looks like a quick and easy pattern, it is taking me forever. The casings for the drawstring neck were odd and time-consuming. And as the title reads, I'm not sure this is a keeper.




It's definitely too big so I'm going to take in the sides a bunch as you can clearly see in the unbelted version. I'm not sure I'm lovin the sash. I like the white contrast but it's just too much... too much somethin'. Can't figure out what. I'm going to pick up a wide wide belt today and see if that would look better.

Forgive the bra straps and flip flops - I'm in sewing mode, not modeling mode! I thought this would be a perfect dress for today but it's supposed to rain all day. Oh well, if it ends up being a keeper, it will make a nice vacation dress.

Ok, I took an inch off each side seam and repositioned the sash so the knot is in the front. I like this better.

5 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

I agree with you, it's better with less ease. I think your unease with the sash is that it's perhaps too contrasting with the dress fabric? Do you have anything that would blend in more? Perhaps even the same fabric for the sash...just brainstorming.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I like your fix too...closer fitting is definitely more attractive. I personally like the sash but as you have it tied in the front...not that back "little girl" bowtie look.

Anonymous said...

Oh my birthday dress, lol
you just reminded me I have to find somewhere else to wear that dress, its adorable on you, Closer fit is definiately better, I always say butterick patterns runs a little bigger you have to be away of that
and yeah,, the casings took a while for me too,, all day if I could remember correctly.
I hope you get a lot of wear out of it and its raining her in Philly too

Anonymous said...

didn't I warn you about that damn pattern??!! And the casings? I like you fix with the fullness. The obne I made with the silky fabric I left full. The other one I made with the stiff cotton I wear belted. And I tie the belt up under my bust. Gotta give the girls some support! Knot in fromt. I agree with Carolyn, you don't need no big ass bow near your but past the age of 7!

Anonymous said...

and I can't spell, I know.