Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Barney the Dinosaur Trench Coat (V8884)



Fabric and Notions:
I found this lovely Italian Cotton Twill at Mood Fabrics and thought it would make a great spring trench coat. (By the way, the fabric also comes in lilac and cream and both are on their way to my house now!) Interfacing is Pro-Tailor Deluxe from Fashion Sewing Supply (I don't see it on the website now so maybe Pam doesn't carry it anymore.) Belt buckle is from M&J Trim. Buttons and D rings on sleeves (couldn't find any small black buckles to coordinate with belt buckle) from local Hancock Fabric. Lining is a poly shiny woven from JoAnn fabric. I really loved this print and bought a bunch of it last fall to use for linings. Clashes a bit with the dress though!:



The above photo was taken indoors because it was raining (Oh, the irony) and doesn't do justice to the color. Mood calls it Mulberry but just think Barney the Dinosaur:


Pattern: Vogue 8884, View C
V8884 Line Art
Construction:
This is a fantastic pattern. Fit is good; instructions were clear. No complaints at all. But this is not a quick project. Not counting the muslin I made, I spent approximately 25 hours cutting, interfacing and constructing. 

Size and Alternations:
I cut a size 12 for top and graded to 14 at waist and hips. For dresses and tops, I normally cut 10 and grade to 12 but I like my coats / jackets to run a little big. I added 3/8" to the back seam (coat and collar) for a broad back adjustment.


14 comments:

RhondaBuss said...

I love the coat, but I just can't compare it to Barney:) This piece is just too chic and fabulous to be compared to a purple dinosaur!

Lori said...

You cannot compare it to Barney, the coat looks fabulous. Thanks for the fitting information on this pattern. I have fabric for this pattern. What are you making with the other 2 colors on the way to your house?

meredithp said...

Really is to die for. Love the color, and you have some skillz!

SissySees said...

Cute!! And isn't that one of the hot colors this season?

SEWN said...

Stunning. Looks very professionally made. Can't wait to see it live!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Bonnie - it's beautiful!

Kyle said...

Wow Bonnie--it looks amazeballs!!!

Connie B said...

I love it! What a gorgeous jacket. Aren't you glad you had more than the 5 or so hours they had on the Great British Sewing Bee?!

gMarie said...

Wow! Bonnie - what a great coat. Love it! What are you doing the 2 additional colors on their way? g

velosews said...

Bonnie. Love your coat and how you've put the colour/print together. It's really impressive.

Linda L said...

That is a great looking coat, love the lining. Pretty color.

Sigrid said...

Beautiful, beautiful coat. Outside, inside (love that lining) and perfectly done. Enjoy wearing!

Clio said...

Great coat, Bonnie! I love the color - how cheerful on a dreary day!

LauraM said...

I really like it! I think I need one too, not purple though maybe brown. You now having trying to decide if I should order it up after all my club BMV has it for $3.19 right now ... hmmm I sure could use a new light weight coat --- enabler you are