Saturday, February 09, 2008

Are there pink robin eggs?


Rachel Iufer designed this adorable hat and named it Robin's Egg Blue Hat after the color yarn she used. I found some of the same yarn in pink in my stash and whipped one up. Very cute hat and quick, too. When I first saw the pattern, I assumed the bottom band would be knit separate and then stitches would have to be picked up. Not sure why I thought this, because that is not the case at all. Instead, you knit the bottom band back & forth in seed stitch and then join in the round to knit the top part. If you're on Ravelry, there are many cute adaptations of this hat. Go check them out!

This particular hat will be gifted to someone but I intend to make another for myself.

Details:
Yarn - Patons Shetland Chunky, Elegant Pink
Needles - I used 8s rather than the 10s called for in the pattern. I didn't swatch but I have found that I traditionally need to go down two sizes to get gauge and this time was no exception.
Button - cute flower button I picked up at JoAnn's. The hardest part of this project was picking out the button!
Time - Hard to be specific because I tend to knit in short spurts but I estimate this took me 2.5-3 hours including finishing time. Remember that I am a slow knitter so you speedsters can whip this out in NO TIME!
Revisions for next time: Several people commented that the hat could have been snugger on the head and that the stitch decrease is off. I agree with both and suggest that if you make the hat, you cast on only 72 stitches, which will take care of both the size and the decrease issue. If your head is a little larger, 82 stitches will work. The pattern recommends that you knit for 5 to 5.5" before beginning decreases. Being the impatient gal that I am, I opted for 5" but 5.5" would have been perfect for me.

2 comments:

Cennetta said...

Love the hat.

KnittyNancy said...

Great hat. The button embellishment is just perfect!