Monday, September 19, 2011

Mother of the Bride "muslin"




My daughter is getting married on 11/11/11. Because I will have nothing else to do, I decided to make the MOB dress (seemed like a good idea six months ago, now.... not so much, but I digress.)

I have always loved the Cynthia Rowley design in Simplicity 2497, View C. Simple but figure flattering and the oversized ruffle is fun and a little different.



Close up of neck ruffle.



I made the muslin from some cheapy poly from JoAnn's. The bodice was too large so I had to take in the shoulders and the side seams a bit. I'm still not 100% comfortable with how the bodice is fitting but I'm going to play around with some more samples to get the perfect fit. I like the fit at hips and waist although I might take in half an inch or so.

Feedback requested: what do you think about the length? I definitely don't want a gown length and I usually prefer a hem that hits just above the knee. Does it look ok for this dress?

My final version will be made from the purple stretch taffeta shown below, purchased at Rainbow Fabrics in Chicago. I will also be trying out a little bolero style jacket to wear over top.

4 comments:

SissySees said...

Love it! That's also my length of preference though, so maybe I'm biased...

I will tell you that my stepmom is the picture of decorum and wore the very same knee-length to my wedding.

Lori said...

I really like the dress and the length is perfect.

Helen said...

Hi, I am de-lurking to say I think it's fab and the red looks great on you. I would make it a titch longer to only just cover your knee if you want to be dressy, but I think you suit it just fine as is. Lovely!

gMarie said...

Bonnie I think it looks fabulous. I would want to see your whole body - shoes, etc. to decide about length. But I love the style on you. g