Sunday, July 24, 2011

Skirt # 1 in the PR Contest (Simplicity 2258)


I finished the above skirt about a week ago for what (hopefully) will be one of the skirts included in my entry for the PR contest - One Pattern, Many Looks. To summarize the rules, you must use the same view of a pattern to create multiple looks. I'm using this CUTE skirt pattern from Simplicity (2258, View C).


The skirt above is made from a black on white, toile-ish looking twill with a touch of stretch. I purchased it in Chicago (I think from Rainbow Fabrics but not positive.) I really love how it turned out. The only change I made was to lengthen it by about 3" and I added a little corded piping (purchased from Rainbow) to the pockets. I shortened the ties by an inch or so because I don't intend to tie a bow on this one.

I wore the above outfit to a conference I attended earlier this week (casual dress code for this conference.) In fact, I'm going to call this one my "Business Casual" version.

I've been away for the last week at the conference and then to our home in Bonita Springs for a "working" vacation (so happy to be able to work from anywhere for my job). Since the contest closes in a week, I brought fabrics with me and cut the other versions out yesterday so I can hit the sewing machine as soon as I get home tomorrow night. I am not going to have much sewing time but the skirt didn't take much more than an hour to sew so I hope to eek out enough time this week to sew the other three.


From left to right, the fabrics are a heather gray beefy interlock, a black/fuschia rayon challis, and a wool blend with a subtle herringbone stripe. I plan to line the 2nd and 3rd options. In my mind, these four skirts will be appropriate for just about any occasion, from running errands to date night to work meeting.

4 comments:

HeathersSphere said...

Tres jolie et chic, Bonnie!

SissySees said...

Love it!! I've nearly ordered something similar from ... I don't remember where...

gMarie said...

You are a sewing beast! I've been taking your cues and stealing minutes in the evening when I can find them. g

Mrs. M said...

I love your skirts! You took a very simple pattern and achieved four very distinct looks.