Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Glittery Holiday Skirt (B5466)

I have found the PERFECT pencil skirt pattern for me. Butterick 5466 will now be my go-to skirt pattern. I had planned to make a brocade skirt for the holidays and found a BEAUTIFUL purple copper fabric at Mood (online). Unfortunately, after I ordered it, they called me to say they couldn't locate it in the warehouse. BOOOOOOO HISSSSSSS!! I was so bummed. I still haven't found a replacement brocade that I like as much but I did find an interesting fabric at JoAnn's that I thought would make a nice holiday skirt. Yes, I said JoAnn's and furthermore, the fabric is an upholstery fabric I found in the clearance section ($8, thank you very much).

Not much to say about this pattern. The instructions seem clear enough although the pattern doesn't call for a lining so I just did my thing. I chose the no-waistband version, View A, since the fabric is stiff / bulky and I didn't want any more fabric than absolutely necessary. I lined it in a black silky (probably poly) fabric.

I fluctuate between 12 and 14 around the middle but this one fit perfectly using a straight 14 at waist and hips. I shortened the fabric cutting line by 1.5" and still did a 2.5" hem. I shortened the lining cutting line by 3.25" and hemmed 2". As you can see, the skirt hits me right above the knee.



Pictures are not too good for this. It is hard enough to capture the glimmer but especially hard in artificial light. I did pick up an inexpensive brocade at Hancock with which I may make a second version since I like the look so much.

I wanted a simple black top to go with this version and will blog about that project in a subsequent post.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Very pretty skirt and I really like your black lace top. Beautiful holiday outfit.

SissySees said...

Love it!! I've asked Santa for a sewing machine for Christmas, but it'll be YEARS before I have time to even think about learning to sew garments.

That skirt is right up my alley though, and I do love your upholstery fabric.

gMarie said...

Bonnie was a fabulous skirt. Pictures on you please? g

Kyle said...

That looks like a great pencil skirt!