Because this is supposed to be a sewing blog, more about my Derby dress. The pattern is McCalls 6324.
I loved the simple lines of the dress and the exposed zipper adds a little zing! I preferred the little cap sleeve and wanted all one color so I made view C but left off the bottom band. I wanted it to fall just above the knee and without the bottom band, that's where it landed on me with no adjustment.
Although the pattern has a lot of pieces and took some time to cut out, the sewing itself was fairly simple. The directions were clear and easy to follow although I had to read the exposed zipper instructions several times. No fault of the pattern; it was my first time doing an exposed zipper and I wasn't quite sure how it worked. I didn't make a muslin (simple laziness because of all the pieces) but wished I would have because the bodice is a wee bit wider than I'm comfortable with. I should have reduced the width and I probably would have also added about 1/2" to the neckline to bring it in just a smidge. Tip: I marked each pattern piece with its number so I would not get the similar pieces mixed up and I would be sure to keep the right sides out!
Here it is modeled with my Derby hat (purchased on ebay - great source if you want to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on a hat!) I'm standing next to my lilac "tree". It smells beautiful right now!
The bodice and sleeves are supposed to be lined in the same fabric but I used a contrasting fabric for 3 reasons:
- The fabric is a lightweight stretch twill and I was afraid it would be too bulky if I doubled up.
- I didn't quite have enough fabric to squeeze out the lining pieces anyway.
- I thought it would look cute! I LOVE contrasting linings.
Note: Due to my pose, the zipper looks crooked but it's not!