I love peasant blouses. One of the first things I made when I resumed sewing for myself a few years ago was a raspberry colored peasant top. During PR Weekend in Chicago, I picked up some lovely white eyelet from Rainbow Fabrics and decided it was time for a new peasant blouse. Butterick has a nice pattern (4685) out now with multiple variations. I was planning on doing View A (larger image on left in pattern photo below) but when I looked more closely at the lovely border on my eyelet, I thought it would make a nice neckline ruffle so I opted for View C (blue one) instead.
As with most eyelets, the fabric is quite sheer and has large holes so underlining was necessary. I used a white batiste that I found at JoAnns. The top went together quickly and the only adjustment I made was to take in the waist a bit to add some shape. I used my commute to work this morning to insert the elastic in the neck and sleeves. After trying it on, I realize I need to make a few tweaks. I forgot the sleeves hit way up high and cut the elastic too short so I'll re-cut and insert arm elastic. Here is what the top looks like right now:
Yes, that's right. A white shapeless blah. Here is what it looks like if I pull in the sides a bit:
Looks better but I think I would need to insert a zipper to get it on and off. I already serged the seams so that isn't going to happen. Instead, I'm going to add a casing below the bustline like shown in View D and hope it creates the shape I'm looking for.
I would like to finish this one up tonight and any input is welcome!