My goal this weekend was to finish my trench coat. I had barely begun sewing it before this weekend but I thought I had a wide open weekend. Do you do what I do when you have a wide open block of time? Fill it up??? Aside from a 4 1/2 hour basketball/cheer banquet tonight with my daughter, I had nothing actually scheduled. But I ended up doing a bunch of cooking, a bunch of cleaning and a little yard work to take advantage of the sixty something degree day. Woo hoo! And then there was the trip to the music store to try out drums (the 13 yr old, not me, lol). And the trip to Lowe's to buy a lawn mower. And the grocery shopping. And the long walk with the neighbor. And Mass. Yup, nothing actually scheduled. But I digress... Back to the trench.
I am very happy with how it is turning out. All I have left is the hem and the buttons / buttonholes. It fits beautifully. My only disappointment is that I did not interface the lapel. The fabric was SOOOO stiff, I didn't think it needed it. It probably does. But I'll cope.
Here are a couple close ups to show the detail of the fabric, lining and buttons - this is actually a fabric from the home dec department. I don't know what you call it but it has embossed design on it, some parts shiny, some parts dull. Very elegant looking, I think. I used an olive green lining, which coordinates well with the gold fabric.
The pattern is Simplicity 4084; a Threads pattern. The pattern is quite clear. There are a lot of pieces and it took a long time to cut out - 2-3 hours. If I counted correctly, there are 18 pattern pieces for the main fabric, 13 pieces for lining, and 8 pieces for interfacing. I had planned to make view A without the piping but I forget to add the front yoke pieces until it was too late. So, I guess I actually made View B. I added the bow after admiring a similar look on some RTW jackets.