Saturday, September 15, 2007

What I'm working on

First, I won something!! Lori held a drawing for an issue of the gardening magazine Backyard Living and I won! Thanks, Lori. I need all the help I can get.


I've been working on the muslin for Vogue 8346 , View A, in anticipation of making one out of some of the yummy wool coating from Gorgeous Fabrics. My muslin is a loosely woven blue/black houndstooth acetate fabric from JoAnn's (dirt cheap!) I actually like the look of the fabric very much so I'm hoping it ends up being a wearable muslin. Because of that, I decided to make it a little warmer by underlining it with some flannel I had in my stash. I get the added benefit of stabilizing the main fabric. Don't worry.... the underlining will not show at all. If the muslin works out, it will be lined in a solid black fabric.


And of course, I've been tempted by the sound of another fun project - The Great Trench Coat Sew Along hosted by Eme at Pattern Review. I have been admiring all the great trench coats that started showing up last spring and have wanted to make one with a little zip. I had envisioned a bright yellow but couldn't find a suitable fabric. (Would probably not have been suitable for autumn anyway.) Instead, while browsing in Hancock's today, I found an tan upholstery fabric that I think will be perfect! I purchased a sagey-olivey green silky lining and it accents the main fabric beautifully. I haven't bought the pattern yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to make Simplicity 4084 , view A, I also like McCalls 5525, View E. Both are classic trench coat styles. The sleeves on M5525, View B are adorable but a coat with 3/4 sleeves would bug me to no end!


I plan to spend the rest of my Saturday night in front of my sewing machine.

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

I can't wait to see the coat. I love the fabric that you picked out for it.

Anonymous said...

This is going to be a stunning coat!