Friday, August 26, 2022

Relaunch of Love Notions Olympia Dress

One of my favorite makes last year was the Love Notions Olympia. What's not to love? It's a flattering silhouette and goes together in a snap. So when they asked for testers for a relaunch, I threw my hand up in the air! I was thrilled to be selected and went on to make not one, not two but THREE Olympias.

My first one was a maxi. Truthfully, I am not a maxi dress fan (I always feel like a little girl playing dress up) and every time I've made one in the past, I've worn it once and then, chopped it, turning it into a knee length dress or gave it away. But not very many people were doing maxis and I found this perfect 4 yard piece of venezia fabric  I had received in a bundle so VOILA! Version 1 was born. I included pockets on this one. This is my "Girls Night Out" version (as evidenced by the glass of wine!)

 

My second one was the version I was assigned - knee length dress with 3/4 sleeves. Perfect for me as I had already intended to make another sweater version of the original pattern! This will become a work staple for me when the temperatures cool down. I skipped the pockets on this one (GASP!) to avoid extra bulk at my hips.

I thought I was done but then another tester posted a white version that I loved and yet another tester posted a swiss dot version that I loved so what's a girl gonna do?  Make a white swiss dot version with short sleeves for wearing on a Saturdays to run errands. I love the look of this one but it's a smidge too sheer for my comfort so I'm going to whip up a "slip" using some nude fabric and the Love Notions Luna pattern.


This was my original version that I made in January 2021:

This pattern goes together quickly and depending on the fabric, you can get a lot of different looks. All three are size small with A cup. I added a bit of width in the back to accommodate my broad back. My tip would be when you get to the step in which you attach the back bodice to the collar that you baste and sew slowly. Then, you can attach via serger for a clean finish.

No comments: