Saturday, August 21, 2010

Christmas Stocking

I love love love old fashion knit Christmas stockings. I have wanted to make coordinated stockings for my kids for a few years but the project has never made it to the top of the queue. Now that they are ready to be out on their own, I've decided to wait until they get married and make a set of stockings for each of them and their spouse.

In the meantime, to fulfill my urge to knit a Christmas stocking, I decided to make a set for the guy and me, probably for the Florida house. So what do I do? I pick THE-HARDEST-PATTERN-IN-THE-WORLD. Holy cow! I've done cables and aran patterns in the past but never in such a high concentration. EVERY ROW is different! I started his stocking in July and this is as far as I've gotten. This is definitely not bus-knitting so I have to sneak in time when I'm not around him. I purchased the yarn for mine at the same time as his. Mine will have a cranberry red heel and toe instead of green... IF I ever get to it!

Pattern is from a book called Christmas Stockings: 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit (Edited by Elaine Lipson) and the specific pattern is called Hugs and Kisses Aran Stocking (for the X-O pattern shown on the left in the photo. I am using Cascade 220.

1 comment:

gMarie said...

Oh - I finally did the same thing last year. Made 4 stockings - all from the same pattern using different colors. Gave the girls theirs and kept ours. I even figured out how to alter the pattern for spouses and grandkids - should I ever get either.

Knit on! You'll be so happy when they are done. g