I realized today that I perhaps need to spend a little more time in the kitchen when one of the kids called and rather than asking me, "What's for dinner?" asked, "Will there be dinner?" LOL. Now, in my own defense.... these are able bodied people that could very easily whip up dinner from the abundance of groceries that are always in the freezer/fridge/pantry while I'm working but that's not exactly the game plan I've laid out over the years. So, on this first cool day of the season (LOVE IT!), I whipped up an old family favorite - pure comfort food. Added bonus is that it's quick and easy if you use some head-starts from the grocery store.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I buy a rotisserie chicken almost every week at the grocery store; so many things you can do with it)
- 1 10 oz box frozen chopped broccoli, cooked in microwave for 4-5 minutes. (I subbed a box of broccoli with cheese sauce that I found in the freezer)
- 1 small can chopped mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheese (I used some low fat velveeta that I cut in small cubes)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (use the low fat/low sodium one)
- 1/2 soup can milk
- 3 cups cooked rice
- black pepper and garlic powder to taste
Mix together all ingredients in large bowl and pour into greased casserole pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.