Monday, June 18, 2007

"How was I supposed to know?"

For those of you with teenagers, I'm sure you've heard that phrase uttered once or twice as an excuse for shall we say unwise decisions. So picture this...

My 16 year old got a flat tire on Friday.
She was smart enough to pull over right away rather than drive on the flat tire.
She was smart enough to get the spare and jack out and opened the car manual to see if it would tell her how to change the tire.
She was smart enough to call her friend's (the passenger) boyfriend to come change the tire when the two girls couldn't loosen the lug nuts.

So what did she do when they were done? Threw the tire and rim in a dumpster. I just found that last part out a few minutes ago and she is headed to the dumpster now on the remote chance that the garbage men haven't showed up yet.

This might actually be funny if I hadn't already spent $1000 on 'broken' cars in the last month.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I better have a chat with my son when he gets home tonight just to make sure that he knows!

Janice said...

Well, I am VERY IMPRESSED with everything that she did right!! (ok, throwing it in a dumpster wasn't the greatest idea.....) but you have to be proud of how she handled the situation. Flat tires are scarey things!!! We have our kids covered with AAA which has come in handy many times!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can so relate to my kids using that expression!!!! One's 21, one's 19, and the third one is 16 -- she doesn't have her license yet (praise God!) but she's not going to stand for holding off much longer. I can so picture her doing something like this. The two older ones probably not so much, well. . . maybe my memory is just fading. Seriously, I am so scared of her getting her license, not to mention her actually driving! On the highway!!!!! Too scary!!! I can relate to the recent expenses too. Our latest was the $500 deductible for son's car that was vadalized in his apartment complex parking lot. Fortunately, the culprit was caught, but we're still waiting on the court of reimburse us.
designdreamer

~Tonia~ said...

I guess I should be glad that my son is only 2. LOL I can't believe that she threw it in the dumpster. Sadly we are such a disposable society that we just throw things away without thinking.

Hope that the tire was still there. Rims are not cheap.

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL - I even had to share the dumpster story with hubby. I know, really, it's not funny, but it is!

On the other hand, I had a chat with The Girl and her friends last night on tire changing and how important that part you take off is & the thing to do is put it in your trunk and Bring It Home!

Did she find it?

vegasangelbrat said...

I'm so sorry for sitting here LOLOLOLOLOL but you gotcha love them kids...lol I'm glad she had the smarts up to that point of laughter for us all..things they think of, really make ya wonder..So did she find it?? Curious minds want to know..lol

Sharon Sews said...

LOL! I'm sorry to laugh, but in a way it is funny, probably because it didn't happen to me. Believe me, I had my share of teens and car stories. However, that's impressive that she knew what to do up until the disposal of the tire. You *know* she won't be making that mistake again.