Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Butterick 5029


Edited on 6/20/07: It's done! It's done! I finished the zipper and the hem this afternoon. I can't believe how easy it is to install an invisible zipper! I've always avoided them for two reasons. First, I thought they were difficut. NOT!!! Second, I had always thought I needed the specific invisible zipper presser foot from Bernina (#35, I think.) Aside from not wanting to spend the $50 on it, the Bernina dealer is not close to my house. (Why yes, I am cheap and lazy. Thank you for asking.) I recently saw a tip that the manual buttonhole foot (#3) that came with my machine works just fine and guess what? IT DOES!

The downside - this dress makes me look huge! (Excuse the bra straps - didn't feel like changing. And I didn't even realize I was slouching so bad.)

*********************************

This one is not quite done but I'm so excited at how it's turning out that I wanted to post it tonight. I still have to install the zipper (my first invisible!), hem the dress, and trim all kinds of basting threads! And re-adjust the middle bodice so it's laying evenly.

Butterick 5029, View A:

This dress was inspired by the dress below, which I saw in a Caché catalog but was never able to find on their website. I liked the gathered bodice. I did not like how tight it was. (OK, if I looked like her, maybe I would!)


Fabric: A stretch gauze from Fashion Fabrics. Similar to this but in a sold-out turquoise color. I also bought the yellow and plan to make a beach cover up from it. But wait, there's more.... Take a peek at the lining (Tutti Fruiti from Hancock's):


I loved making this dress and I love the surprise lining. But I'm still struggling with the sizes. Unlike the last item I made, this one turned out kind of big at the bust and kind of small at the waist. I adjusted the pattern to fit my actual measurements so I don't get it. I really hate the idea of making muslins but maybe I should start. This dress and the last top I posted took more effort than usual. I think I'm picking a skirt or a knit top next!

Oh and one last thing... That Ann from Gorgeous Things has cast some kind of spell on me. I can't seem to resist her fabrics. I bought this and this and this today. I've been on a yellow kick lately but I just realized as I looked at them again that yellow and black were my high school colors. How funny! Go Newark Yellowjackets!




12 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

What a cute dress. You do such good work. Love the lining.

Erica Bunker said...

Cute dress! I love the lining!

Lori said...

Great dress and the lining is so fun. Fitting is a challenge at times. Oh, and I am with you on the spell at Gorgeous Fabrics, I just bought several pieces, the yellow and black being one of them.

Janice said...

I lOVE the lining!! What fun! The dress is great. And I love the fabrics you picked out from the Gorgeous Fabrics website.. She has some fun ones!!

Allison said...

I love the surprise lining - that's just too cute. As Mr. J. would say, "that's so dorable!"

monica said...

Wow! another great looking garment! Love the previous post about the 16 year old, I hear that several times a day from my 15 year old.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Love the lining. Looks so summery and comfortable.

Lola is sure getting her workout!

Can't wait to see what you do with all your pretty new fabrics.

Years ago I bought a book on pattern design and alterations and it has been a most valuable resource. I'll find it and send you the link. It wasn't cheap but I've used it a zillion times.

Anonymous said...

Very cute dress! I almost bought that pattern yesterday. Love the color too!
designdreamer

Linda said...

Lovely dress. You have provided a lot of information that will be helpful for me when I finally get around to making this dress. I plan on using a jersey fabric and I will line it in a woven. I hope that works. Plus, thanks for the heads up on the big top, small waist. I will need to prefit before I cut into the good stuff.

Anonymous said...

OOOOh, it's so beautiful! The lining is great, great idea.

I hear you about Gorgeous Fabrics, I try to resist, but I can't help myself.

renee said...

Love it, love it, love it.

Unknown said...

I can't remember who pointed me to your blog (either my blogless friend Jessica, or Nora of BDK) anyway - I'm really enjoying it. I have been looking through your old posts and love the garments you are turning out. I like the blue dress and the lining is such a nice surprise - doesn't a silly little hidden detail like that just make you smile each time you wear it? g