Sunday, October 21, 2012

Abstract Wrap Dress (NL6097) & More Baby Shower photos


I needed a dress for the baby shower so on Thursday night, I decided to make New Look 6097. It had the casual look I wanted and the pattern is rated highly at Pattern Review.  The fabric is from my May 2012 PR weekend in New York. I think it came from Metro Textiles but I'm not positive. The pattern needed 2.5 yd and I only had about 2 1/8 but with some very clever fabric placement, I squeaked it out. I thought I lined up the stripes perfectly but alas, the side seams are off a bit. Not so much that I won't wear it but enough that I won't wear it to any functions with my sewing friends!

I agree with the other reviewers that this was easy to put together and sized well. I made a 10 on top and graded out to a 12 at the hips. I had plenty of room. The sweater knit was a little sheer so I ended up underlining the skirt with a lightweight black knit that I had. If I hadn't decided to underline, I estimate the dress would have taken about 2 hours to sew. I don't love the fabric belt but that's my opinion about all fabric belts to be honest. I will wear it with a black belt next time.

More shower photos:
My daughter, her MIL and me (the two Grandmas!)

 My two daughters, my mom and me.



The adorable cookies made by a friend of a friend.  They were delicious, too!


3 comments:

gMarie said...

Bonnie what a cute dress!

Lori said...

Bonnie, your dress is gorgeous and you are one good-looking grandma!

Kyle said...

I know what you mean, there's a dress that will appear in my 2012 retrospective that I will never wear to any PR event ever!!! :) But for general wearing around non-sewing people, it's totally fine! :)

The dress looks great on you. It's one I'd like to make this winter. I love that it's only a 2 hour dress--it's been awhile for me to make something that's wearable and quick to sew!