Monday, January 02, 2006

My First Felting Project




Hooray!! I finished knitting my fuzzy feet this morning and just pulled them out of the washer. Voila! From giant size to just right!

The particulars: 100% merino from handpainted yarn. I don't remember the name of the yarn but I've been struggling to find a project that suits it. Not totally in love with slippers in these shades but what the heck, it was an experimental project! I also used some fun fur I purchased from turkey last year as an accent. I knit on size 9 dpn. The slippers were approximately 12 inches (maybe 13, I forgot to measure) before felting and are now approximately 8 inches. I wear a size 8 shoe and they are very snug.

I own a front loader washer so I wasn't confident the felting was going to work but it did. I can see that it's a tad uneven - i can still see stitches here and there but overall, I'm happy with it. Based on tips I read at the knit list this morning, I used wool-lite and fairly hot water - 160 degrees. I threw it in a zipper pillow case and also threw an old pair of jeans in with the pillow case.

I'm ready to move on to a goofy felted hat my son has requested!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I really like how that variegated yarn turned out! Not my colors at all - but they're really appealing. Good Job!